Thursday 4 November 2010

Some explaining to do

I guess I can't call my blog "Goat walking a tightrope" without some explanation. But before we cut to the chase let me just say that I am a working writer and sometime broadcaster and sometime TV producer who descends the stairs to my office each day to face the blank screen and flashing cursor that dares me to write something. I've written sketch comedy and sit-com and drama and for movies but every time I face that blank screen that little flashing cursor is a constant taunt. Go on, it's saying get started. You're a writer, write something. These days I desist. Not because writers hate to actually write anything, though I have spent hours putting off the moment, no, I wait because I've learned that the best stuff takes a while to ferment. So, now I research and get my story more or less straight before I start writing pages. That's the easy part - or at least it is for me. Once I start, once I know where I'm going I just put her in gear and off she goes. I don't analyze it, I don't understand where it comes from or how it works but it does. Just luck I guess, like the golfer Gary Player said, the harder you work, the luckier you get. That's certainly true as far as writing stuff goes - finding a home for it these days is becoming increasingly difficult.
Once upon a time you could sidle up to a producer in the bar, slip him a script and if he liked it you'd find yourself with a commission, maybe not for a series but certainly another script and possibly even a pilot. Not now. Now even getting read is a major coup, even for battle-hardened pros.
But what does this have to do with my blog title? About six months ago a buddy sent me a link to a youtube video of a Chinese Circus goat walking a tightrope. Immediately I typed out the words "A Goat Walking a Tightrope Isn't Enough..." and pasted them to the bottom of my monitor. They are there to remind me that however good I think my story is, however great I think my third or four draft is coming along it will NEVER be enough. So I keep polishing, keep twisting, keep thinking 'how can I make this better" in the hope that the next script that finds its way from my agent to a producer will be followed by a phone call.

But it still doesn't solve the problem of getting them to read it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment