Friday 5 November 2010

It's a fine line

I was flicking around, trying to find something to watch during a commercial break when I settled on an age-old episode of Steptoe and Son. Now, Galton and Simpson were two of the reasons why I wanted to write and Steptoe is absolutely their peak so I did what I always do when I find an old episode playing - I stayed with it and never went back to what I was originally watching. All that depth with just two men in a room. It does fly close to tragedy but always stays the comedy side of the line and still makes me laugh at loud. It's interesting to compare it to something that's just finished it's first series run - Whites, the Chef comedy starring Alan Davis.
Here is a comedy that spends most of its time working really well as a quirky drama. In fact, for me, it works best when it's a quirky drama, with AD's executive chef being dark and brooding, and less well when he has to do something 'comedic'. I like the characters, I like the situation, the writing is well observed and really nicely put together. I like it's production values - in fact I like the show - but I don't laugh out loud. I don't really smile much.
So, what do I like about it? I like it for its darkness - particularly the antagonistic relationship between chefs Scoose and Bib. But that's not what got it commissioned. I'll bet my house that no-one went in saying "We've got this dark vehicle for Alan Davis that concentrates its best efforts on two supporting actors..."

Why is British comedy working so hard at not making people laugh? I know the audience sitcom is out of favour but there is a place for it. I watch a lot of American TV, always have, grew up with it. My current favourite is the glorious Mad Men but I haven't missed an episode of Dexter or True Blood since they began and House is a regular treat. Before that I was a huge, huge fan of what David Chase did with The Sopranos and what Alan Ball did with Six Feet Under and before that ER - during the glory years - was unmissable. My breakfast viewing - controlled by the kids - is Everybody Loves Raymond and Frasier - which just might be the best sitcom ever but we can start a poll on that if you like. My point is, all these make me laugh out loud. Yes the sitcoms but also the dramas. They have moments that just make that uncontrollable sound burst from my body. So why can't a polished show like Whites do the same? I look forward to a second series - even darker if I had my way - but with more laughs. Let's start by not calling it a comedy, that might take the pressure off.

No comments:

Post a Comment