Friday 17 February 2012

Strictly Gershwin

On Valentine's night I got a real birthday treat, a seat to see a great show - Strictly Gershwin, presented by English National Ballet at the Hippodrome, Bristol.

Whoa, hang on there big fella - Ballet? Really?

Yep.

I can't pretend I know much about the subject beyond seeing the Red Shoes/Black Swan/one previous outing to see ENB's Cinderella and all those extended ballet equences in Gene Kelley Movies. I know nothing. Technicaly I am an ignoramus. I react to what I see on a purely instinctive level. And what I saw here was magical.

What was so wonderful about this show was there was so much to react to. Great orchestra, great dancing - no fabulous dancing - ballet, tap, ballroom - and one added little gem.  I grew up playing the trumpet so my eyes always scan the tumpet section first - and sitting in the first trumpet seat was Mike Lovatt. I could barely contain myself - I know I was there to see the Ballet but Mike Lovatt is a hero of mine. His brilliant playing has graced countless movie soundtracks including the James Bond films ‘Tomorrow Never Dies’, ‘Die Another Day', ‘Chicago,’ ‘Beyond the Sea’, ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’, ‘Madagascar’, and Tim Burton’s ‘The Corpse Bride’. His solo trumpet and Cornet was featured in the George Fenton score for ‘Mrs Henderson Presents.’

He also plays with the John Wilson Orchestra who for the past three years have been the must see Orchestra at the BBC proms.

So now the night is working on lots of levels - not least of which is the music the orchestra is playing: Gershwin. George Gershwin was my way into classical music. The jazz melodies chimed with my early preferences. Rhapsody in Blue was glorious, it opened doors to other composers, other eras.

I can praise it no higher than saying this is as good a show as I've ever seen - and I've seen a few. It's currently on tour in the UK an if you get the chance to see it it's worth selling your furniture, your house and your children to get a ticket. Okay, maybe not the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment