Monday 23 January 2012

A Great 'Bad Boss' Story


Last week I was working with a friend on some TV shorts. She told me a great story that had me open mouthed, speechless and angry all at the same time. Just thinking about it makes me want to  kick ass.

This concerned a boss she worked for at the BBC. Now the hallowed halls of the dear old Beeb are not quite as hallowed as once they were. Neither are all the positions of power staffed by the keenest minds. Cascading down from on high you eventually hit a seam of people who never got beyond 'a little bit of power'. However, some of these people wield it like they're Louis B Mayer but without the insight or sensitivity.

Being a creative force my friend kept taking him ideas until one day, unable to cope with her creative flow, he said these words:

"Will you please stop bringing me ideas. With you it's one after another. We have an ideas meeting on a Wednesday, you know the rules, everyone is allowed ONE IDEA. And I don't want to hear any more from you until you've seen the last idea all the way through".

If she didn't know before that she had to move on - she did - this was the moment that cemented it.

"Will you please stop bringing me ideas!"

In the parlance of the young OMG, WTF. In a creative industry those words should be a sackable offence.


Apparently he is still in the same job. Dear God. 


1 comment: