Tuesday 31 May 2011

Game of Thrones has nothing on Roseanne


I'm happy to admit it, I am addicted to Game of Thrones. Can't wait for the next episode. The blood, the gore, the graphic sex, the Machiavellian twists and turns.

Until a few weeks ago author George R.R. Martin's epic A Song Of Ice And Fire series of books meant nothing to me. My son is the Warhammer devotee in the family, I'm strictly Sopranos and Mad Men - until now. I'd seen the trailers on Sky Atlantic but didn't take much notice. It looked like a sword and sorcery series and as I've been avoiding Merlin since episode two (too much modern day sensibility for me) I just didn't see this doing anything for me.

How wrong can you be.

From the opening scene of the re-shot pilot Game of Thrones gets better and better. It's been described as Lord of the Rings with sex - that's just lazy. This is a world where much is different from what we know but much more is the same. It looks great, it boasts an array of fine actors and the writing draws you in.

I'll come back to it at some point - and if you're not watching catch up if you can, it really is superior stuff.

If you don't fancy Game of Thrones but you like titanic battles with much blood spilled you might like to catch up with the war of words raging between Roseanne Barr and veteran sit-com writer Ken Levine.


It began with Roseanne's interpretation of what 'really' happened on her sit-com in the New York magazine - you can read her original article here

Ken Levine commented on his blog
If you don't know Ken Levine he's a writer who along with his partner David Isaacs has penned some of the best episodes of Cheers, Frasier and M*A*S*H. He's been in the industry for years but has never worked with Ms Barr.

Roseanne read Levine's comments and  followed up with this on HER blog

I have never been in a room with either but, given the choice, I know which room I'd choose. Like Game of Thrones I am waiting for the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment