Wednesday 16 February 2011

Meetings 3 - The Rant


A close friend and writer went to a meeting with his agent. They met with three big show business names, two producers and a BIG agent. And a STAR. A recording star who acted and had pull. They were there to discuss a script for Treasure Island which they wanted to make as a big production pantomime.  
My writer friend was told the box office had opened that Monday and taken half a million, sets were 60K and the STAR was getting a good trouserful.  They needed a script in 6 weeks and he was to be available for a month before rehearsals started.  HIS agent said 'so what percentage will you pay?'   To which came the reply 'I've got no money for writers.'   My mate's agent said, 'We've got to go.'
(It was at this meeting that the STAR said to my mate 'I was round at Eric's watching the football last night.'  Then he said 'Oh, sorry, you don't know who I'm talking about - Eric Clapton.'  My mate said, 'Oh, has he got a telly, then?')
This is the sort of tale I hear - and experience - all the time. People claim they are desperate to work with you and yet if you bring up the subject of money - or say 'ring my agent' they cry poverty or you never hear from them again.
There is nothing - nothing, nothing, nothing - without first someone, somewhere writing something. I don't care if it's an 'improvised' comedy, drama or reality show. Nothing gets kicked off, whipped into shape or propelled forward until someone writes something. That person is a writer and writers deserve to be paid for their labour. 
Here's what you get without a writer:

Now, make that.
 
We do not all live on flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment