Sunday 9 January 2011

Randy, Me and the Music

I was looking for something in the office yesterday - a piece of paper that I'd written the secret of writing on - when I came across a brown envelope, addressed to me but never opened. Inside I discovered a photo, of me, taken in the early eighties when I was working as a presenter on a BBC radio station. A friend had found it and posted it to me and for some reason I'd put it in the office and never opened it. Until yesterday.
So, now I'm standing looking at me from thirty years ago - so much hair. I showed my wife and she said, "Oh yeah, that's when you looked like Randy Edelman".
I never looked like Randy Edelman says I - but Google is a quick and terrible beast.



Hmm. Okay. Maybe, just a little.

Mr Edelman had some hit records in the UK in the seventies, notably "Uptown Uptempo Woman" and "You". He is best known these days for his TV and Movie scores. He wrote music for Ghostbusters II, Twins, Beethoven, Kindergarten Cop, The Mask and contributed music to The Last of the Mohicans.Most recently he scored The Mummy: Tomb of The Dragon Emperor.

But my favourite old song of his is "The Woman On Your Arm". Okay  a little schmaltzy but schmaltzy was good back then and I've always been a sucker for a story song. I don't often admit it but I know all the words to "The Gambler" and "Coward of the County" both of which inspired screen adaptations; one a TV series the other a TV movie.

Say what you like about 80's country music but I doubt anyone is going to make a movie based on a Lady Gaga offering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment